Tuesday, December 13, 2011

EBEW: Sequins and Sparkles

It’s Everybody, Everywear time, people!  And today that means sequins and sparkles.  Full disclosure, I’m not a fan of sequins for the daytime.  For me, it’s like leaving your Christmas lights up all year long; it saps some of the magic come Christmastime.  And daytime sparkle saps some of the magic come fancy-dress-time.  But, sometimes a girl needs to branch out so I gave today’s EBEW Challenge my best shot:



Given my reticence to wear any sequins during the day, you know there was no way I was going Full Sparkle.  Instead, I kept it minimal so it still felt like me.  To do so, I layered a sequin-striped t-shirt dress/tunic (Ross) over a black turtleneck (Gap) and black leggings (INC via Macy’s).  Over that I layered my oft-worn black sweater (Jones New York via Ross) and some black wedge booties (Nine West “Peekaboo” via Piperlime).

And I liked it.  It was warm, layered (What can I say?  I love the layers) and that bit of shine was sort of nice.  I wouldn’t say I’m a convert, but I am going to give daytime sequins another try next week, so maybe I’ll get there. And maybe I’ll leave my Christmas lights up year round too.  (FYI – this is sarcasm).

How about you, Dear Reader Friends?  Are you fans of sequins for day?  If you are and want more ideas on how to wear them (and probably on how to wear them more aggressively), stop by Everybody, Everywear and feast your eyes.  It’s sequintastic!

Happy Tuesday, All!

Gracey

16 comments:

  1. Oh, you are doing monochrome so well here, lady! I think it was the perfect idea for sparkles during the day, since they add some texture to the ensemble (along with that great knit of your sweater), making it interesting. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a very subtle and tasteful daytime sequin'ing you've done here. I like. I find sequins incredibly challenging, and certainly not in daytime, so I wore my holiday outfit and admitted such.

    I did see a knitted scarf w/sequins on it at Zara, and I very nearly bought it. It would totally work for daytime. Maybe I should go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your subtle sequin layers here! Very chic :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. first off you look fanfreakintastic gracey! all black perfection. i own a gold pair of sequined ballet flats i hardly ever wear. however i do use my gold sequined purse more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have almost anything sparkly at all. I rocked a dress I wanted to wear to a party of some sort, but it looks like the only wear it will be getting is on my blog... boo.

    Anyway, I think you made a good compromise here! Good job, milady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the monochromatic look, and of course that sequin skirt!! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    xo,
    Sarah
    http://comingunstitched.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the outfit. A little subtle sparkle.
    I've never done EBEW before, I really should, but I don't think I have anything with sparkles or sequins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You knocked day time sequins out of the park! I love this look!!

    - Justine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracey! Your t-shirt dress reminded me that my aunt gave me this crazy beaded shawl thing from the 1920s that belonged to a friend of my grandfather's, and that it's languishing in the back of my closet and that I should really wear it to a Christmas party! So thank you, a hundred times thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely sequined skirt - the stripes are such a unique take on a sequin skirt. Love the big smiles :D

    Tasia
    http://rufflesandsequins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything that sparkles but I can understand your feelings about wearing them during the day. I like your look though and am glad you decided to give it a try!
    -Meagan
    www.spunkychateau.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your "bit of shine!" You are such a great dresser. I am liking the sweater skirt combo! I kinda want to try it now!

    -Rhe
    rhestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you rocked this one. I'm excited to see what your next foray into day time sparkles will be. :D I'm not a hugely sparkle-oriented person, but every now and then, I'll make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving that sequin skirt! It's sassy! :)

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. *GASP* Love you in sequins! That skirt is killer girl. Love it with the chunky sweater. I just bought an all sequins multi color dress that I can't wait to post!! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).