Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pros and Cons

Daily Outfit, 2/10/2011

Today's outfit was physically comfortable, but it was also out of my comfort zone.  Which means that I liked it, but I also didn’t.  There were definite pros and cons to what I wore today.


Pros:  This outfit is warm and cozy.  I’m wearing one of my favorite sweaters (BCBG) and some of my favorite boots (Kenneth Cole Reaction) and, of course, my all-time-favorite scarf (Nordstrom).  And I like that this outfit is making my case, once again, that orange goes with everything.

Cons:  What I don’t like is that this has a sort of 80s feel, and that’s not an era I channel often, so it feels awkward.  I mean, I only go 80s once a year, and February 10th is not it.  I am also a bit self-conscious about how body-conscious the skirt of the dress (Banana Republic) is.  I don’t think it looks bad, it’s just different.
 

Pros:  I do like that I got to wear another one of my vintage coats today.  It’s still sunny and still very cold, but the layers kept me warm enough under this cloth coat, which I got years ago at an estate sale for $2.00!  And I like that layering over-the-knee socks (Nordstrom) over my leggings worked to help keep me warm.

Cons:  What I don’t like is that even though these socks do go over my knees (no small thing at my height) they make my thighs angry.  They seem to feel these socks are invading their sovereign territory; which my thighs consider to be a casus belli.  As a result, they have declared war against the socks, demanding they retreat to below the knee line.  Both sides have agreed to accept the knees as a DMZ.


Pros:  This sweater really is great.  It has a hood and dolman sleeves and plays nice with my orange scarf.  And it lets me hide my tummy when I feel like it.  You know, like those times when I haven’t been to Jazzercise in a week.  Times like today, for example.

All in all, I like more about this outfit than makes me uncomfortable about it.  And in the end, I’m glad I stepped outside of my comfort zone; I think it’s good to do every once in awhile.  What about you guys – how are you about stepping outside of your comfort zones?


Gracey

A word on OTK socks – I know they are hard to find for us tall gals, but the Nordstrom ones are plenty long (especially if you don’t have thighs set on world domination).  I got them in black and grey and while they’re probably not available in Nordstrom stores anymore, you might be able to find them at The Rack.

7 comments:

  1. I've been seeing a lot of orange around the blogs today, I'm usually not a big fan of the colour but I'm really liking your orange scarf. It goes GREAT with your outfit :)

    xoxo
    Aline
    http://alienslabyrinth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very hard time stepping out of my fashion comfort zone and really have to push myself to change it up a little. I'm planning to do that today. If I ever get dressed...
    I think this outfit looks great on you - the body concious skirt does very good things for you! Frankly, I am jealous!
    Your description of the socks made me laugh. I've had the same issue :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sweater! It looks super comfy! And I think the bottom of the dress (and your bottom in it!) look great. The ONLY issue I have with the dress are the cuffs, which is what I think is giving you the eighties vibe...and I totally don't know how you change that since I don't sew. Way to rock the OTKs, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEy Gracey... your outfit looks great.. and I know what you mean about 80's!! I have done that style and paid my dues so also am not completely comfortable when this feeling creeps in!! LOL

    I think the skirt and the sweater and the boots look great together. I remember reading that boots that height can shorten the leg so if thats the look you are going for I think it can work. I am not quite as tall as you but am really proud of my height and dont like downplaying it. Also your outfit from Feb 9 is amazing!! I love the colors and how you used the wrap sweater with a belt.. it looks totally great!! You are rockin the outfits babe and are looking beautiful!!!
    have a super weekend and thanks for all your visits to my blog too, always love hearing from you.. I am so behind in visiting... work has been nuts!!! xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pop of blue in this outfit! looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  6. The very first thing I thought when I saw this outfit was "Is she a New York Mets fan?" That's because the blue and orange are the Mets' team colors. And the gray brings to mind the uniforms they wear on the road, which are gray. (Can you tell I am SO ready for winter to be over and baseball season to start?) Anyway, I really like seeing how fashion bloggers combine colors--it gives me ideas about combos I can use myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aline - orange is definitely a big color for spring and summer; maybe you'll become more of a fan of the color? If not, I'm just happy you like my scarf.

    Allison - it really is hard, isn't it? And thank you for the compliments on the body con skirt - I'm blushing a little.

    Erin - is that what it is? Is it the cuffs? I wasn't sure - I just know it felt 80s but wasn't sure why. I wonder if the cuffs on the dress would still be a problem if I didn't have the sweater. I will give it a try. And you also made me blush, but thank you.

    Jodi - I love reading your blog - and I can't help but comment on your posts - they're so fun! Thank you for all the sweet compliments - I really appreciate it. And yes, boots this height can definitely make legs look shorter. I tried to counter that with a shorter skirt (scandal!) and relied on my long legs to make it all okay. I do that a lot, I think! Thank you for commenting, and I hope work gets less crazy for you.

    Emmy - thank you. The color is the number one thing I like about this dress.

    Sue - I'm not going to lie, I am not a Mets fan and didn't even realize I was dressed like one. But, if the Mets combine blue, grey and orange, I might just become a fan!

    ReplyDelete

Hooray! Comments! I love comments!! (And cake, but if you just leave a comment, I'll manage the cake on my own).